Many today feel uncertain about how to respond to a changing technological landscape. If neither technophobia nor technophoria are adequate responses, can we chart a middle way? This lecture outlines a few rules for what technology is, how it behaves, what we should do about it, and proposes a response that avoids the double dangers of fear and utopianism.
For further reading:
- What Technology Wants (Kevin Kelly)
- Understanding Media (Marshall McLuhan)
- Technopoly (Neil Postman)
- The Technological Society (Jacques Ellul)
- The Singularity Is Near (Ray Kurzweil)